Internet Data Exchange – IDX Q & A
(Even if you’re not quite sure what questions to ask!)
Wouldn’t your Internet marketing efforts produce greater results if prospects could view your listings – and all the others from your MLS – on your company Web site? Now it’s possible!
Effective January 1, 2002, the National Association of Realtors requires that the MLS database be available for display on your firm’s Web site, giving you an opportunity to promote your company to the public in a powerful new way. It’s called Internet Data Exchange – IDX – and it’s about to revolutionize the way you look at the Internet as a marketing tool. All listings, all the time: yours and your competitors, made available to your company Web site.
The following questions and answers are a general overview of IDX and MFRMLS’s IDX program.
- What is Internet Data Exchange?
- How is Internet Data Exchange accomplished?
- What are the four MFRMLS/FAR IDX options?
- How can you offer these IDX options for free?
- Why should I participate in IDX?
- Does IDX conflict with license law/Code of Ethics?
- Can agents participate in IDX and have the MLS database on their Websites?
- Why would I want to allow other Brokers to display my listings on their Websites?
- Why would I want to let other Brokers display my listings if I don’t have my own Website?
- Do I have to allow other Participants to display my listings on their Websites?
- What happens if I won’t allow other Participants to display my listings on their Website?
- Can the MLS refuse my listings if I do not permit other Participants to display them on their Websites?
- Will the MLS refuse to transfer my listings to Realtor.com, HomeAdvisor.com, etc. if I do not permit other Participants to display them on their Websites?
- What happens if someone abuses IDX?
- Must the listing firm be identified when I display their listings on my Website?
- Can my listing information be modified when it is displayed on other Participants’ Websites?
- What data (property types, status, data fields, etc.) will consumers see?
- Does IDX mean that confidential information will now be available to the public?
- Should I continue to send listings to other Websites?
- How do my listings get included in the daily data pull?
- If I want to authorize other Participants to display my listings under IDX, how do I do it?